Daniel Bruce Smith was born 23 July 1918 to John Smith and Vinia Magnolia Brewer
Enlisted on March 8, 1942, in Fort Oglethorpe, GA
Died 7 October 1944
Buried at Long Tom Cemetery, Concord, TN
Private First Class
38th Armored Infantry Battalion, 7th Armored Division, Headquarters Company
PFC Smith was killed in action near Overloon, the Netherlands.
The Knoxville Journal, October 27, 1944
Pfc. Daniel Bruce Smith, 26, son of Mrs. Vinia B. Smith, of Route 2, Concord, Tenn., was killed in action in Holland Oct. 7, according to a telegram received Tuesday by his mother from the War Department. Private Smith entered the Army exactly two years and six months before the date on which he was killed. A member of the Coast Guard, Private Smith lived with his mother and farmed prior to entering the service. Additional survivors include two brothers, Riley and Perry Smith, both of Route 2, Concord and one sister, Mrs. Exie Campbell of Maryville.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 23 July 1918
- Date of death: 7 October 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Concord
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 38th Armored Infantry Battalion, 7th Armored Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Long Tom Cemetery, Concord, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIV, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: The Tom Hall Family
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.