Dan Moser Blankinship enlisted in the Marine Corps at Knoxville on June 27, 1917, and was sent to Parris Island, SC, and Quantico, VA, for training. He was assigned to the 83rd Company, 6th Regiment, of the Marines, with whom he sailed for France October 28, 1917. Fatally wounded June 8, 1918, by machine gun fire when the Marines cleared Belleau Wood of the Germans. Died four days later in hospital.
Born in 1898 in Sweetwater, Tennessee. Private Blankinship is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington,Virginia.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 2 January 1898
- Date of death: 12 June 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 6th Regiment Marines, 83rd Company
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Belleau Wood, Toulon Sector, Aisne Defensive, Chateau Thierry Sector
- Burial/Memorial Location: Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Dan M. Blankinship
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.