Clarence B. Varnell enlisted 4 June 1942 – Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia
321 Infantry Company, 81st Infantry Division
He was the son of Benjamin Bruce Varnell and Daisy M. Carter. He married Nannie Bell Wright.
He is buried Wesley Chapel Cemetery, New Market, Tennessee
The Knoxville Journal, November 17, 1944
Pfc. Clarence B. Varnell was killed in action on Palau Island, Oct. 3, according to a message from the War Department received by his wife, Mrs. Nanna Bell Varnell, Route two, New Market, Oct. 26. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Varnell, Private Varnell had been in service since June 4, 1942, and overseas since June 20, 1944. He was attached to an infantry division. Private Varnell is survived by his wife; parents; one brother and seven sisters.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 26 December 1917
- Date of death: 4 October 1944
- County: Jefferson
- Hometown: New Market
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 81st Infantry Division, 321 Infantry Company
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Wesley Chapel Cemetery, New Market, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Clarence B. Varnell
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.