Chester Stacy Hughes, the son of Horace F. Hughes and Irene A. Hughes of Bristol Tennessee enlisted in the US Marine Corps on August 5 1965 in South Charleston West Virginia.
During the month of September the Battalion was conducting combat operations from the An Hoa Combat Base in Quang Nam Province.
ON September 19, during a patrol in the vicinity of the hamlet of My Loc (2) in Duyen District PFC Chester Hughes was killed by multiple fragmentation wounds when a booby trap was tripped causing and explosion.
LenSvc Between 1 and 2 years
Unit L Company, 3rd Battalion, 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division
Start Tour Not recorded
Cas Date Monday, 19 September 1966
Age at Loss 18
Remains Body recovered
Location Quang Nam, South Vietnam
Type Hostile, died outright
Reason Other explosive device – Ground casualty
Chester Hughes was killed by a booby trap about 2 kilometers southwest of the Liberty Bridge, itself 20 kilometers or so southwest of Danang. He is buried in the Glenwood Cemetery/Bristol, TN.
Vietnam wall Panel 10E Line 119
Photo courtesy; Victor Vilionis
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 26 October 1947
- Date of death: 19 September 1966
- County: Sullivan
- Hometown: Bristol
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Glenwood Cemetery, Bristol, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXIV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Chester S. Hughes