Charles Edward “Charlie” Simmons was born in 1896 in Pikeville, Tennessee. He was a farmer before his induction into military service on 25 July 1918 at Camp Gordon, Chamblee, Georgia. He died on board a U.S. Navy ship in the Atlantic Ocean while en route to France during World War I. His death was due to pneumonia. Millions of people worldwide died during 1918 of “The Great Flu Epidemic”.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 8 July 1886
- Date of death: 4 October 1918
- County: Bledsoe
- Hometown: Pikeville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company 19, Camp Gordon September Auto Replacement Draft
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Simmons Cemetery, Bellview, Bledsoe County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar II, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Charlie Simmons
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.