Died 26 November 1944
491st Bomber Group, 853rd Bomber Squadron, 8th Air Force
Aircraft B-24J with serial number 44-40073, nickname Arch Angel departed from N. Pickenham on an aerial combat mission to Misburg, Germany. The aircraft came up from High Squadron and joined Lead Squadron after the formation was attacked by enemy aircraft. The bomber was hit and exploded and crashed near Oerie, Germany. The whole crew lost their lives. They were initially buried in the cemetery of Oerie.
Pilot, 1st Lt David N. Bennett Jr.
Co-Pilot, 2nd Lt Jessie F. Blount
Navigator, 2nd Lt George B. Engel
Engineer, T/Sgt Norman G. Warford
Radio Operator, T/Sgt Pete Patrick Jr.
Right Waist Gunner, S/Sgt Charles E. Hixson
Left Waist Gunner, S/Sgt Raymond O. Mc Kee
Tail Gunner, S/Sgt Henry P. Stovall
Nose Gunner, S/Sgt Irving B. Starr
Photo courtesy from https://www.honorstates.org/index.php?id=525224
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 11 March 1921
- Date of death: 26 November 1944
- County: Bradley
- Hometown: Cleveland
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 491st Bomber Group, 853rd Bomber Squadron
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Hilcrest Cemetery, Cleveland, Bradley County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Charles E. Hixson
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.