Charles Denton Orr was born in Louisville, Tennessee, on October 3, 1929. He was a member of Company B, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division. He was Killed in Action while fighting the enemy in Korea on February 23, 1951.
The Knoxville News-Sentinel, 28 February 1951
Marine Pfc. Charles Denton Orr, son of Mr. andd Mrs. J.C. Orr of Lakemont, was killed in action in Korea Feb. 23. The Defense Departent has notified the parents. Pfc. Orr joined the Marines after graduating from Oak Ridge High School in 1948. He was a former Times employe. Besides his parents, he leaves two brothers, Glenn and Garry B. Orr. Glenn is now in the Army at Camp Pickett, Va.
Picture from the Oak Ridge High School Yearbook 1948
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 3 October 1929
- Date of death: 23 February 1951
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Louisville
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division
- Conflict: Korean War
- Awards: Purple Heart, Combat Infantrymans Badge, Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Presidential Unit Citation, and Republic of Korea War Service Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Grandview Cemetery, Maryville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XX, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Charles D. Orr
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.