Casto A. Swafford was born 23 June 1923 to William E. Swafford and Mary Alice Burgess. He was killed in Action 20 April 1945 in Italy while serving with the 13th Tank Battalion, Company C.
PFC Swafford is buried at Big Lick Cemetery, Cumberland County, Tennessee.
Crossville Chronicle, May 17, 1945
Mrs. Alice Swafford has received word that her son, Private First Class Casto Swafford, age 22, was killed in action in Italy just before the surrender of the German troops here.
Pfc. Swafford enlisted in the Army November 24, 1942. He was sent overseas April 24, 1944, to Italy. He is the son of the late W.E. Swafford of Big Lick.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 23 June 1923
- Date of death: 20 April 1945
- County: Cumberland
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 13th Tank Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Big Lick Cemetery, Cumberland County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Casto A. Swafford
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.