Michael Shane Carpenter joined the Air Force in June 1989. He was a Loadmaster assigned to the 317th Airlift Wing’s 40th Airlift Squadron at Pope Air Force Base.
On April 28, 1992, Michael was one of nine crew members aboard a C-130 airplane that crashed into Blewett Falls Lake near Rockingham, NC.
Michael is buried at Carpenter’s Campground Cemetery, Maryville, Blount County.
- Rank: Senior Airman
- Date of birth: 14 January 1971
- Date of death: 28 April 1992
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Maryville
- Service Branch: Air Force
- Division/Assignment: 317th Airlift Wing, 40th Airlift Squadron
- Conflict: Persian Gulf
- Burial/Memorial Location: Carpenter's Campground Cemetery, Maryville, Blount County
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXV, Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Michael S. Carpenter
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.