Carl Jackson Branton was born in Swain County, N.C. He enlisted on 20 May 1944 at Camp Shelby in Mississippi.
He was the son of David Tildon Branton and Judy Hall.
Killed in WWII action in Belgium while serving as a Private in the 83th Division, Company A, 2nd Platoon.
The Knoxville Journal, February 4, 1945
Walland, Feb. 3 – Pvt Carl J. Branton, 19, son of David Branton of Walland, was killed in action Jan. 16 in Belgium, the War Department has notified his father. Private Branton entered service May 19, 1944, and went overseas in December, 1944. In addition to his parents, he is survived by five brothers, J.D. Branton, Brownlow Branton, Cecil Branton, Elmer J. Branton of Walland and George Branton of Maryville; two sister, Mrs. Hubert England and Miss Athelena Branton of Walland.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 9 February 1925
- Date of death: 16 January 1945
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Walland
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 83rd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Laurel Grove Cemetery, Walden Creek, Sevier County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Carl J. Branton
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.