Calvin John Ward
During an advance, Pvt. Ward’s company was held up by a machinegun, which was enfilading the line. Accompanied by a noncommissioned officer, he advanced against this post and succeeded in reducing the nest by killing 3 and capturing 7 of the enemy and their guns.
Some photographs below were provided by WBIR in Knoxville, TN.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 30 October 1899
- Date of death: 15 December 1967
- County: Greene
- Hometown: Branch
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company D, 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Estrees
- Awards: Medal of Honor, Silver Star, 2 Purple Hearts, Croix de Guerre with Palm, Legion of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross
- Burial/Memorial Location: Glenwood Cemetery, Bristol, Sullivan County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Calvin J. Ward
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.