Private First Class Bruce Hamby #34143104 US Army, was the son of Frank and Amanda Hamby. He was born in 1917 in Morgan County, Tennessee.
He was assigned to the 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division. The 12th was the spearhead for the 4th Infantry Division, landing on Utah Beach on 6th of June 1944, led by Brigadier General Teddy Roosevelt Jr. The regiment moved inland and relieved the 82nd Airborne and then turned north to take Cherbourg.
PFC Hamby died of his wounds on the 12th of June 1944. He was interred at the Normandy American Cemetery, Plot E, Row 9, Grave 8, Colleville-sur-Mer, France.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of death: 12 June 1944
- County: Morgan
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Bruce Hamby
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.