Born 15 June 1922
Died non Battle 5 May 1943
331st Infantry, Company F
Pvt Rainey died in the service of his country at Camp Alterbury, IN. He is buried at Lee Cemetery, McDonald, Bradley County, Tennessee.
Soldier dies by drowning – Tennessee Private at Atterbury loses life swimming across Driftwood
Camp Atterbury, May 6 – Pvt. Billie K. Rainey, age 20, of McDonald, Tenn., R.R. 2, was drowned Wednesday noon while swimming across Driftwood river, the public relations office announced today.
Pvt. Rainey, a member of the 83rd Division, was the son of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Rainey of McDonald, Tenn.
Upon rescue, members of the 308th Medical Battalion applied artificial respiration but Pvt. Rainey failed to revive despite the use of a pulmotor from Franklin.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 15 June 1922
- Date of death: 5 May 1943
- County: Bradley
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 331st Infantry, 83rd Division
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lee Cemetery, McDonald, Bradley County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Billy K. Rainey
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.