Berlin Garl Oakes was born in North Chattanooga, the son of James Oakes and Ethel E Oakes. Husband of Nellie Jane Radford and father of Marilyn Oakes.
Buried at Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery, Belgium, F, 10, 2
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 17 March 1945
One Chattanoogan yesterday was reported killed in action in Germany. A former employe of the Hunt Bed Spring Company, Pfc. Berlin G. Oakes, son of Mrs. Ethel Oakes, and husband of Mrs. Nellie Oakes, 29 Sawyer Street, was killed in action in Germany, March 3, his wife was officially notified. In the service three years and overseas for the past 10 months, Pfc. Oakes, former student at Hixson High School, was the father of Marilyn Oakes, 2. His military duties were not disclosed. He is survived by his wife; mother; three sisters, Mrs. Eula Jones, Lucille Hysler and Mrs. Della Nichols, all of Chattanooga; one brother, Harold Oakes, Portland, Ore.; two half-sisters, Miss Gladys Mowry, Chicago, and Mrs. Maggie Jones of west Virginia; two half-brothers, Clarens C. Oakes and Condra W. Oakes, both of Chattanooga.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 15 November 1913
- Date of death: 3 March 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 28th Infantry Regiment, 8th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery, Henri-Chapelle, Belgium
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Berlin G. Oakes
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.