Sergeant Benny Charles Burns was born on July 12, 1947, and was originally from Lenoir City, Tennessee. He served his country in the viet War in the United States Army, as an armor reconnaissance specialist in 2nd Platoon, C Troop, 3rd Squadron, 5th Cavalry, 9th Infantry Division. His tour began on May 16, 1967. On March 11, 1968, Sgt. Burns was killed by an explosive device in Quang Nam province, South viet; he was 20 years old at the time of his death. He was the recipient of the Purple Heart medal. Sgt. Burns is buried at Niota Cemetery, in Niota, McMinn County, Tennessee, and is memorialized on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on Panel 44E, Line 14.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 12 July 1947
- Date of death: 11 March 1968
- County: Loudon
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 9th Infantry Division
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Niota Cemetery, Niota, McMinn County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Benny C. Burns
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.