Born 11 September 1919
Died non Battle 10 June 1943
Son of Arthur C. Clayton and Julia Ethel McKinney
119th Infantry, Company A
Sgt Clayton died at the Foree Hospital in Athens, McMinn County, Tennessee due to fractured skull. Buried Cedar Grove Cemetery, Athens, TN.
The Kingsport Times, 11 June 1943:
Injuries fatal to Athens soldier.
Sgt Ray Clayton, 23, died in a hospital Thursday of injuries received when he was struck by a train at a crossing here. Clayton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Clayton of Athens, was home on furlough from Camp Forrest, Tenn.
Besides his parents, survivors include a sister, Mrs. Arrants Smith of Chattanooga.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 11 September 1919
- Date of death: 10 June 1943
- County: McMinn
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 119th Infantry, Company A
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Cedar Grove Cemetery, Athens, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Arthur R. Clayton
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.