Alvin Wade Vanzant was born 14 Jan 1925 in Michigan. He lived in Hamilton County, Tenn. with his parents Valter (Valter Vanburen Vanzant) and Myrtle Vanzant. He enlisted 18 June 1943 and served as a Private in the U. S. Army. He died 6 June 1944. Interment 16 July 1948.
37th Engineers Battalion
Pvt Vanzant was returned from Brookwood-London, British Isles. He is buried in Chattanooga National Cemetery – 1200 Bailey Avenue, Chattanooga, Tenn. Section Y Site 350.
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 13 July 1948
Funeral services for Pvt. Alvin W. Vanzant, son of Mr. and Mrs. V.V. Vanzant of Chattanooga, who was killed in action in France on June 6, 1944, will be held at the Nationald Funeral Home. Interment with full military honors. He is survived by his parents; a sister, Mrs. Olene Ashworth, Atlanta; one brother, Woodrow Vanzant, Chattanooga, and one son, Alvin Wade Vanzant Jr.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 14 January 1925
- Date of death: 6 June 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 37th Engineers Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Alvin W. Vanzant
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.