The East Tennessee Veterans Memorial Association honored and remembered those who have made the ultimate sacrifice at the
“2013 Reading of the Names”, Memorial Day – Monday, May 27
Beginning at sunrise, more than sixty volunteers, including students, veterans, Gold Star families, active duty, guard and reserve service members joined together to read each of 6202 names aloud.
At the conclusion of the reading, the ten newly-engraved names were dedicated, followed by the annual Memorial Day service organized by the American Legion Post 2.
The names are:
- Army Private First Class, Charles G. Woods, June 15, 1966, Blount County
- Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Morton C. Carmack, March 10, 1951, Bradley County
- Army Private First Class Clyde C. Hutson, March 25, 1951, Hawkins County
- Air Force Second Lieutenant James W. Lunsford, April 6, 1954, Hamilton County
- Army Private First Class Herman Manis, December 15, 1953, Sullivan County
- Army Corporal John F. Sadler, June 10, 1952, Washington County
World War II
- Army Colonel James D. Bender, July 11, 1944, Hamilton County
- Merchant Marines Third Engineer John E. Cole, March 17, 1943, Washington County
- Army Private Cleaston A. Patterson, May 14, 1944, Polk County
- Army Private First Class John W. Turpin, April 23, 1943, Knox County